Critical Status - Database-Oriented Issues Plus

It seems that everything has a critical status, especially when it comes to databases and software development! Here's a place for listing issues and ideas relating to database and development issues. I'll list problems and ideas mainly related to SQL Server 2005. Post your thoughts, advice or complaints! Later this year will be the 25th anniversary of being in the trenches of the IT industry. I specialize in database applications development. I'd like to share my experiences with everyone and learn of those of others. You never stop learning.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Windows Integrated Security in Reporting Services 2005

This issue has been tying me in knots. I am moving away from SQL authentication as CAC is the preferred method in the federal govt for accessing computers and servers. I also don't want to use no credentials. thats just nonsense. Unfortunately, I'm going to require users to use their network login barring my being directed to use a SQL account, not use credentialing which I'm loathe to do or Kerberos v5 is used. Therefore, users will have to enter their credentials until a better way is found. wish there was a workaround!

Windows Integrated Security
When you use the Windows Integrated Security option, the report server passes the security token of the user accessing the report to the server hosting the external data source. In this case, the user is not prompted to type a user name or password.

This approach is recommended if Kerberos is enabled. If Kerberos is not enabled, you should only use this approach if all the servers that you want to access are located on the same computer.

1 comment: